Taste Test – Cherry Stouts
John conducted a blind taste test of cherry stouts with a few surprises to throw everyone off. He had Bell’s Cherry Stout twice, included a blueberry stout, and had a regular stout that he added cherry flavor to. We rated the beers within the fruit stout category.
Location: Andrew’s house
1. Bell’s Brewery – Cherry Stout (bottled 11/20/15)
- Andrew: Knew it was Bell’s Cherry Stout right away, noticed that it tasted similar to Bell’s Expedition Stout. “Pronounced roasted aroma.”
- Ellen: Roasty, tart finish
- Mike: Cocoa aroma and flavor, cherry adds a pleasant sour/tartness to the beer.
2. Dark Horse Brewing Company – Tres Blueberry Stout
- Andrew: Too roasty
- Ellen: Too much blueberry
- Mike: Coffee notes, too dry
- We could all tell this beer had blueberry instead of cherry.
3. Homebrew – Cherry Stout
- Andrew: Less fruity but blends well with beer, more a brown ale than a stout, notes of apricot?
- Ellen: Noticeably a cherry stout
- Mike: Buttery aroma, harsh alcohol, odd hop bitterness, needs to age more
4. Deschutes Brewery – Obsidian Stout with cherry flavoring added (sorry Deschutes!)
- Andrew: Sweet cherry, tastes like a red Starburst
- Ellen: Tastes like cherry cough syrup, dry/bitter finish
- Mike: Artificial cherry, very dry
5. Bell’s Brewery – Cherry Stout (bottled 11/13/15)
- Andrew: Noticeable tart cherries
- Ellen: Noticeable tart cherries
- Mike: Sour cherries, mild dark maltiness
6. Central Waters Brewing Company – Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout
- We all recognized this beer right away as Central Waters’ Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout
|Bell's Brewery - Cherry Stout||B||A-||B+||1|
|Dark Horse Brewing Company - Tres Blueberry Stout||C||B||B-||4|
|Homebrew - Cherry Stout||C||B||D+||5|
|Deschutes Brewery - Obsidian Stout with cherry flavoring added (sorry Deschutes!)||D+||D+||D+||6|
|Bell's Brewery - Cherry Stout||B-||B+||B||3|
|Central Waters Brewing Company - Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout||B+||C+||A-||2|
- We all gave the second tasting of Bell’s Cherry Stout a one-step lower grade.
- Adding cherry flavoring to Deschute’s Obsidian Stout ruined the beer and made it by far the least favorite.